Sunday 16 June 2013

14. Running Solves Nothing - Part Two - Flashback

*I know I'm finished with this fic but someone asked me to update it on tumblr and I felt bad 'cause this chapter has literally been completed for months and just sat in my drafts lol I don't like this fic but for those who read it I hope it's alright.*

They'd been on the road for a couple of hours now and Nicki was still out for the count. Her head resting lightly on the glass of the window as Drake kept his concentration on the road. He'd never driven to his uncle's before and getting the right roads was proving to be quite difficult. In fact he'd taken a wrong turn three times already and was thankful that Nicki was still sleeping otherwise he'd have her shouting profanities at him in her frustrated and aching pregnant state. Frowning irritably he tried to look at the map on Nicki's knee but it was no use, his only option was to pull over at the next gas station. Making the turn he came to a stop and proceeded to fill up and grab some snacks and a drink before hitting the road again. In the meantime Nicki had awoken to an unpleasant sensation.

"What is that smell?" She wrinkled her brow and looked sleepily at him.

"I can't smell anythin'."

"It smells like burning. It's really strong. You seriously can't smell that?" He shook his head as she continued to looked bothered, until of course she spotted the food. "Hey! When d'you get all this?"

"Made a stop at the gas station while you were sleep. Your twizzlers are in the glove box." Not taking a second to think she reached forward and pulled the bag out happily.

"Thank youuuu."

"You feelin' any better?"

"Mm. Lots." She spoke between stuffing the red coloured candy treats into her mouth. "I think the advil helped."

"Good." Smiling genuinely he pulled her hand up to his mouth and kissed it before stealing the twizzler from her grasp with his teeth.

"No! That was mine!"

"Not anymore it's not."

"You're such a pig."

"You don't care. You still love me." He couldn't do anything but laugh when she grumpily snatched the bag to herself and stared out of the window whilst she snacked.

"How long 'til we get there?" Her words were slightly warped because of her chewing twizzlers but he still understood.

"A while yet. You should try go back to sleep, time'll pass quicker."

"But I'm not sleepy anymore." She turned to stare at him momentarily, their only source of light now was the headlights of the car and the odd street light they passed. "You look tired."

"I am." Huffing slightly he peered out of the windscreen and shook his head. "I'ont know where the fuck we even are."

"We're lost?"

"Not lost, just a lil' off track."

"Well, can't we pull over for a lil' while? Maybe stop somewhere?" She tried to read the signs too, like it would actually help. "My back's startin' to hurt again. I'ont think I can deal with sleepin' in this Godforsaken car, Aubrey." There was silence for a while.

"Yeah, maybe you're right. I need to check the maps anyway and it's late. I'll pull in to the next motel."

"Oh thank God." She sighed a breath of relief and continued to feed herself as they drove.

He kept to his word and stopped at the next Motel, booking them a room for the night. Of course that didn't go without Nicki starting the dramatics. They'd both showered and were now laying in bed trying to allow sleep to find them.

"Yo, what if somebody breaks into our room?"

"Nobody's gon' break into our room, Nic." He dismissed her instantly. "Besides, even if they did they couldn't do shit whilst I was here." He smirked and pulled her even closer, smiling when he felt her bump press into him.

"If you say so."

"I do. Now, go to sleep."

***

"Take some more advil." He kept looking over at her briefly as they drove. They'd been back on the road again since 8am and it was now nearing 7pm. Understandably Nicki was incredibly fed up and quickly running out of patience.

"I already took some earlier, it ain't doing shit!"

"Look just calm down, okay? I'mma stop in a second and you can get out for a bit. Stretch your legs a little." He rested his hand gently on her knee. Breathing in calmly he tried to stay relaxed but her groaning was making that difficult.

"Please hurry, it's gettin' worse!" Squeezing her eyes shut she let a long shaky breath out followed by a small but pain-filled grunt. "Ugh I think something's happening." She opened her eyes and looked at him fearfully.

"With the baby you mean?"

"Yes with the baby, Aubrey!" She spat angrily before resting her head back and talking breathlessly. "Pull over."

"What? Nicki, I can't just-"

"Pull over!" Her loud yell made him flick the indicator and pull on to the side of the road even though there were absolutely no cars around. They were literally in the middle of nowhere.

"Is the pain just in your back?" He asked as he unbuckled himself and rotated to face her.

"No. It hurts all across here too." She motioned to her lower abdomen weakly. Noticing that her voice had softened he guessed the pain had subsided, he just hoped it didn't happen again. That would only confirm his growing worry that she was in labor.

"You good now?"

"Mmm."

"I'm gonna call my Mom, see what she thinks. Has that only happened once?"

"Yeah, that was the first time." The shake in her voice only worsened as she finished talking. "What if I'm in labor?"

"Listen, I promise you we ain't havin' our baby on the side of the road." Grabbing on to her hands gently he made her look at him. "I'mma call my Mom and hear what she has to say and then we're gonna go straight to my uncle's, 'kay?"

"What if we don't make it? I can't do this by myself!" The panic began to overcome her as he remained holding on to her.

"We will make it but even if we didn't you're not alone. I'm here and I'll be there every step of the way, yeah?" She nodded solemnly before he reached for his phone. There was no cell reception. His frustrated sigh was followed by words. "I'm gonna keep driving, as soon as it happens again I'll pull over." She knew he was freaking out and trying to hide it but even at that moment she could fool herself into believing his calmness. That was all she could do. "You okay for me to keep drivin'?"

"Yeah, please just don't let go of me." He felt her small hand squeeze his.

"I won't, just keep breathin' and stay calm. We'll be there in no time." He wasn't quite sure whether he was trying to fool himself or her but he wanted to believe what he was saying. Keeping her hand enclosed in his he turned the key only to be met with the struggling sound of his engine as it continued to turn over. Once again it had bailed on him when he needed it most. "Fuck!"

"What is it?"

"I need to go look under the hood, you'll be okay for a minute whilst I check it out." Delicately releasing her hand from his grasp he headed out of the car to do what needed to be done. As soon as he lifted the bonnet he was greeted with the smell Nicki had complained of smelling yesterday. He should have listened to her complaint.

The minutes soon turned into hours and he still couldn't get the vehicle going.

"Aubrey."

"Hold on, Nic. I think I figu-"

"Aubrey!" The urgency of her tone made him move swiftly around to her side of the car before pulling her door open.

"Is it happening again?" Bending down to her level he watched her face contort in pain whilst he tried to comfort her.

"It hurts so much! I don't know what to do!" Her cries were literally breaking his heart knowing he could do nothing for her.

"It's okay, I'm right here." Wiping away some of the tears from her face her pulled his phone out at the same time, before smoothing his hand over her leg. His anger began to peak as his mind reeled. They were in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception, it was dark and Nicki was in labor. He wasn't sure how long he'd be able to stay calm for. Hearing her  humming through the pain brought him back to the moment. "I need you to listen really carefully, okay? There was a payphone a bit back down the road, if I run I-"

"You can't leave me, Aubrey! No, no, no!" She shook her head violently. "You're not leavin' me!" Panting heavily through the end of the contraction she looked at him seriously.

"If I go now I can be back before the next one starts. I promise you." He knew the one thing his Mother taught him about ever encountering a laboring woman was to never ever leave her. He was about to break that rule but he truly believed if he ran he could make it back in time after getting help.

"No, I'm not lettin' you leave me. I need you here."

"Nicki, we need to call an ambulance. What happens after you have the baby, right here? We're still gonna be stuck with no reception and no help. I'm not risking that." Raising his voice wasn't exactly going to make her feel any more at ease but he needed for her to listen and it worked.

"You better run faster than Usain fucking Bolt, Aubrey!" Allowing the tears to spill over her lids she felt his lips on her forehead.

"Here, lock the car as soon as I shut the door." Putting the keys into her hand he cupped them softly. "I want you to sing somethin', anything you want and by the time you finished the song I'll be back."

"Okay." She nodded whilst crying, which was ripping him up but he knew they'd need medical help. Especially if something went wrong. Folding his lips he tried to get rid of his thoughts. He had to go now whilst she was still early on with her contractions. It took everything in him to move back and shut the door, his heart was beating like crazy as he waited  to hear the car lock. As soon as the noise registered with his ears he took one last look at her petrified face and started running, praying he could keep up the speed.

Back in the car she was overcome by an uneasy silence, only her rapid breathing was a comfort to her as she carried on humming her song of choice. She never stopped humming the tune, using it as an outlet of pain as well.

"Oh God. Please hurry, Aubrey." Her little melody was short-lived as she called out again, the pain was too much to handle. "Hmmmm, fuck! I can't do this!" Breathing heavily she swiped at the tears staining her face. Beyond terrified about how things were going to pan out she lay her hands lightly on her bump.


Only a minute or so down the road, a sheriff was trundling along in his car, the long day was finally over, or so he thought.

"What in the hell?" He turned the radio down as he mumbled, straining his eyes through the dark windscreen. He slowed down a little as he got closer. It was the interior light of Drake's car. He saw the fogged up windows and shook his head whilst coming to a complete stop. "I will never understand why people feel the need to show their love to one another on the side of the road." Slamming his door shut he hitched his pants up a little, before crossing the desolate road. What he was greeted with was not at all what he was expecting.


***

"Please, excuse me a moment." Sandi smiled politely and pushed her chair out to leave the room. It was Drake calling. "Aubrey? I still can't hear you." She paused, only picking up the crackling sound. "Aubrey?"

"Mom?"

"Oh, I can hear you now." Smiling with relief she continued walking out of the noisy atmosphere, stopping when she reached the bathroom. "Are you there yet?"

"No, we're not there. I need you to tell me what to do." His panting breath didn't help Sandi's nerves one bit.

"Oh my God, what's happened?"

"It's Nicki, I think she's in labor."

"Have you called an ambulance?"

"Yeah, I'm on a payphone in the middle of nowhere. They're on their way but I'ont know how long they'll be."

"How is she now?" She began pacing whilst she listened intently.

"Well, when I left her she-"

"Left her? Where have you left her, Aubrey?"

"She's in the car, I told you I'm on a payphone, Mom! I got no signal, the car won't start and the only option I had was to run God knows how long down the road to this phone!" Finally losing his temper with this whole situation he pounded his fist repeatedly on the metal frame of the booth.

"Calm down. That's the first thing I want you to do." There was silence as he cooled off.

"A'ight, I'm good."

"Okay, so she's having contractions?"

"Yeah I wasn't timing or anythin' I was tryin' fix the damn car, I think she's had two in maybe three or four hours."

"Good, that's good. So when you get back to her just try and keep her calm."

"Until the ambulance arrives."

"Exactly."

"What if the baby gets here before the paramedics?"

"Her body'll know what to do, Aubrey. Just listen to her. If she's says stop touching her, you stop touching her. If she tells you to shut-up then keep your mouth zipped. Don't let her feel like she's not in control, okay?"

"Yeah, okay, I got it." He breathed in and out shakily, Sandi could hear the fear in his voice. He was terrified.

"You'll be fine. Just remember the breathing techniques." She heard him exhaling on the other end of the phone and couldn't help but smile tearfully. "Not you, Aubrey. I meant for Nicki."

"Yeah I know, I just thought they might work for me too."

"Call me as soon as you get to the hospital, tell me which one and we'll meet you there."

"I will."

There was a few moments of silence before they said goodbye and hung up, Drake preparing himself for the sprint back. This would undoubtedly be the fastest he'd ever run.

***

Back at the car, the sheriff had managed to talk Nicki into opening the door. She was in mid- contraction, trying to breathe less erratically.

"It's okay, just breathe." He crouched in the door and watched her recovering breathlessly. "That's it, you alright?"

Shaking her head quickly she didn't hold back the tears. "No, I want Aubrey here. He said he'd be back and he's not."

"Hey, come on now. Don't cry." Rubbing her knee awkwardly he tried to take her mind off of what was happening. "What's your name?"

"Nicki."

"Nicki?" She nodded smally. "Okay Nicki, how old are you?"

"I'm sixteen."

"And Aubrey, where's he at?"

"I don't know, he went to find a payphone." Letting even more tears stream down her face she looked at the sheriff. He was a kind of oldish, white man with short hair.

"He went to call for help?" She nodded. "How long ago was that?"

"Maybe a half hour, forty minutes. I don't know."

"And do you know how long ago labor started?"

She shook her head and whimpered. "I don't know."

"Okay, well I'm not leavin' you but I gotta head back to my car for a quick second. You gonna be okay?"

"Please hurry, I'ont know if I can hold on." She looked down at herself and tried to stay calm. This was really happening.

"I'll be as fast as I can." He rubbed her knee again and got to his feet, quickly moving back over to his car radio to call for help. Unbeknownst to him, Drake was fast approaching on foot as he  finally made it back. His heart racing, partly from the running and partly from seeing her car door open.

"Nicki, what's happening? You're okay, right?" He crouched, breathing heavily.

"What the hell took you so long?!" She sat up, grimacing as another contraction coursed through her.

"I'm sorry, it was further away than I thought." He grabbed her hands immediately. "But I'm here now, everthin's gon' be fine." Smoothing his thumbs over the top of her hands he tried keep her as calm as he could.

...

12 comments:

  1. YESSSSS! My favourite story has been updated ^_^
    Thank God that police officer came because it would have been more bad than it is. Trust them to end up in the middle of nowhere :|
    Post soon! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Had. A feeling Something Like this was gonna Happen... And I Kept on thinking the worse.. Lioe Deshaun Was Gonna Pop out of Nowhere and shit. I was Worried. Burt im glad that didnt happen. Hopefully she can hold off till the ambulance get there atleast. Cause we do not need anything happening to her or the baby.
    Im Soooooooooooooo Happy You updated this one. Its My Favoriteee Fic!
    I Lovedd the possst! And thanks for updatingg!(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. AKBASBSPHJFRGGKD I thought you werent gonna do this fic anymore! And when i saw that you posted! I Spazzed the fuck out! Thank you soo soo soo soo much!
    -Shes In Labor! And in the middle of no where! Woww. Thats crazy! I hope everything turns out okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank the Lord for the person who requested this. but OMGGGGGGGGGG. She's really in freakin labor. Like.. OMG. I'm at least glad the cop showed up cuz u know... if nothing else, he'll be able to keep in contact with others. & aren't like most cops trained in this sorta thing? He can help deliver if push comes to shove. How scary. Hopefully the ambulance gets there in time cuz I'm not tryna have no God baby that was born in the desert. lol anyway... yeah.

    sjdkhfbkdjhkldfxnhjzsd Still spazzing at the fact that u posted tho. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bdhwjshsjskksb.... I can't believe you updated this OMG I hope nicki and the baby is okay and an ambulance comes soon because they are in the middle of nowhere good thing that police officer showed up and I feel for poor Drake also and I hope you post really soon even if it is the last chapter you post I hope it all ends good update soon PLZ xoxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Love with This fic. Im so appreciative that you added. Please update again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG YES THIS WAS THE ONE I WAS TALKING ABOUT! ohmgeeeee!!! I thought this was gonna be like Texas chainsaw for a second. I got so scared when the sheriff was driving by, OMG poor Nicki aw. I hope the ambulance gets there before the baby does!! Ceniecijdcojceocnice AHHHHH THIS IS MY FAVORITE ... I have a bunch! Ommgggggg loved it ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness someone finally came to help them out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss this story soooo much!! You have to do another chapter please?! I knew she was gonna go into labor. I know a car would be the last place she'd expect this to be going on lol. Hopefully they'll get to a hospital in time. Aubrey was going through it lol aww poor baby. I loved this you have to finish this :(((

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG YASSSSSSSS THANK YOU FOR UPDATING THIS ONE! I had a feeling something bad was gonna happen and she was going to go into labor. I was so scared for Nicki. It felt like I was watching a scary movie and when the sheriff came I thought he was gonna do something crazy. I hope the ambulance gets there soon. Hejnsksnsksbsksnksdbkdbd I'm so glad you posted! Please post soon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh I'm on pins and needles update this pleeeeeeaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will you ever update this!!?

    ReplyDelete