Wednesday 13 February 2013

13. Running Solves Nothing - Part One - Flashback

*Thanks for the previous comments, I hope this is okay for you all. I had actually forgotten about this fic but somebody asked me about it on Tumblr so, here it is! :)*

"Well, where the hell are they?" His eyes were wide and his palms sweaty as he listened intently to her on the phone. The darkness of the street making his car seem even more desolate.

"First of all, stop yellin' and secondly would you calm down?! They went to some dinner meeting or something. They told you about it last week."

"So you're completely home alone?"

"Yes." There was silence after her response. "Drake? What's wrong?"

"Nothin' Nicki, I promise. Just please keep your phone close. I'll be an hour tops, I love you."

"Love you too." She spoke lowly and frowned as she hung up. Why was he acting so over dramatic? It's not as if she hadn't been home alone before. She carried on thinking along those lines as she made her way into the kitchen to get herself a snack. Upon entering the room she frowned seeing Missy sat staring at her. "Whattya want Moo?" Recieving no verbal reply she patted the dog's head and proceeded to microwave herself some bacon.


Over at their new apartment Drake was bent head first into the hood of his car, cursing to no end. It wouldn't start, which was typical of it's nature. Forever failing him when he needed it most. Continuing to fiddle with the various parts under the bonnet he grinned like mad man when he figured out what was wrong.

"Yes! Thank you, Lord!" Quickly slamming the hood down he returned to the driver's seat and pulled away from the curb. His phone had been chiming in the passenger seat the whole time. Thinking it was a message from Nicki he instantly eased up on the speed and slid across his phone screen to unlock it. It was from Deshaun. The sickening feeling in the pit of his stomach only worsened when he opened the attached file to see a picture of Nicki, it had obviously been taken from outside of their lounge room, with today's date and time underneath. He wasted no time in speeding down the road to get back home. All the street lights began to merge into one long illuminate line on either side of his windows as his mind raced almost as fast as his car wheels. He'd really messed things up and now his pregnant girlfriend was facing the brunt of it all. No longer caring to abide the law he reached over and grabbed his phone from the passenger seat, calling Nicki for the fifth time. She wasn't answering her cell or the landline.

"Fuck! Nicki, come on! Pick up!" In a temper filled rage he quickly tossed the piece of technology to his side once he reached her voicemail, again. Pressing his foot down harder on the accelerator he managed to weave through traffic, praying he wouldn't hit a queue. Thankfully the situation played on his part and a mere forty minutes later he was pulling up outside of their house. Not sparing another second he darted inside, yelling and panting like he had just run a marathon.

"Nicki?!" Dashing through the kitchen he reached the lounge room and his heart sank with relief. "Oh thank God!" Regaining his breath he rested against the door frame, breathing heavily.

"The fuck is wrong with you Drake? You scared the shit outta me!" His eyes flicked to where she was sat comfortably on the couch. Her feet tucked neatly under her with Missy curled up on the cushion beside her.

"Are you okay?! Did anythin' happen while I was gone?!" His breathy questions were begininning to make her feel nervous as she knocked the volume down on the TV.

"I'm fine, Aubrey. Why wouldn't I be?" She frowned and quickly made her way over to him. "S'goin' on with you? You're all sweaty." Leading him worriedly over to the couch she made him sit before lowering down next to him. "What's happened?"

"Nothin', I just...I couldn't get hold of you and I..." He trailed off and breathed out shakily. "Why weren't you answerin' my calls?! What if you'd gone into labor or somethin' and I couldn't get through to you?!"

"Stop yelling at me! Somethin' weird happened to the landline and my cell died after you called the first time." She sniffled. "I'm sorry, I didn't realise how worried you were gettin'." Smudging the outer corners of her eyes she inhaled, feeling an emotional release threatening to overcome her.

"It's okay." He spoke with a sigh. "I'm sorry, c'mere." He pulled her to him and continued to apologise for freaking her out as she tried to relax in his arms. She couldn't though since his uneasy breathing continued to rattle in his chest beneath her head. "What's wrong with the house phone?" His brow wrinkled with confusion.

"I'm not sure, I wanted to order in but when I picked it up I got no dial tone." The softness of her voice was calming but that didn't stop his mind from reeling with sheer panic. This had to be something to do with Deshaun. No doubt about it.

"Here, use my phone. Order whatever you want." Shifting from underneath her she quickly grabbed his wrist to stop him.

"Wait, where are you going?"

"I'mma go see if I can figure out what's up with the phone, I won't be long. Get me whatever you're havin'." Kissing her temple he lay the blanket back over her legs and headed towards the kitchen.

"Won't be long?" She scoffed under her breath. "Now where've I heard that before?" Gently chewing on the corner of her lip she ordered their food and tossed his phone onto the couch pillow beside her once she was done before flicking through the channels and settling on a good movie. Just waiting for him to come back, which honestly didn't take long.

"You ordered?" He pulled his jacket off and set it on the coat stand beore joining her again.

"Yeah, I got us pizza. You got a message whilst you were gone too." She passed him his phone and looked up at him sweetly. "You figure out what was wrong with the phone?"

"Uhm, no." He lied. "I couldn't see shit, it was too dark out. I'll see if my Dad can sort it tomorrow."

"Kay, well I'm gonna go shower before the food gets here. And if it does get here before I'm done, keep your bigass bear paws off of mine." Moving the blanket aside she tugged her shirt back over her bump, since it had ridden up, and headed down to the basement bathroom. He managed to keep his cool until he heard her shut the door before proceeding to open Deshaun's latest message. He already knew the phone line was cut deliberately and the message now visible on his phone screen confirmed that.

"Looks like you got home just in time." His body quivered as he read it aloud. He knew this wasn't a a matter of threats anymore, this wasn't some sort of sick game. Deshaun would do whatever it took to get his money back, no matter who stood in his way.

***

"Who's this s'posed to be?" James almost spit half of his food out of his mouth as he spoke.

"This is Nicki. Drake's girl."

"Word? She looks young." He paused briefly. "And pregnant?"

"Right you are, Jimmy. She's sixteen and eight months pregnant." Deshaun smiled eerily as he continued to ogle the same picture he'd sent Drake.

"How'd you know all this stuff, man? You been stalkin' the girl or somethin'?"

"I've had people watchin' the house, done a lil' snoopin'. Ain't nothin' wrong with that." He stared intently at his friend as he carried on chewing down his burger.

"Whatever, why you showin' me all this anyways?"

"I want you to pay her a lil' visit. I heard Drizzy's got them sorted with a new apartment on the other side of town. I'mma go check it out whilst you do that." He stood up and grabbed himself another drink.

"No, no , no. Hold up a minute." He swallowed the last of his meal and looked to the back of Deshaun's head in bewilderment. "You want me to pay her a visit, and do what exactly?"

"Give her a message, the kind of message that Drake will respond to."

"I ain't goin' in there and harrassin' or hurtin' a young girl. 'Specially not when she's pregnant!" He squinted angrily. "Are you outta your fuckin' mind?! No way, get someone else to do it." Throwing his chair back he went to leave but was stopped by his boss' bottle hitting the wall metres in front of his face, sending glass shards everywhere. He flinched away dramatically. "The fuck, Dee?! You're fuckin' losin' it!"

"You listen to me. When I get back here tonight, I wanna hear what happened when you paid Nicki a visit. Got it?" The throbbing vein in his neck made James swallow fearfully. He knew when Deshaun was in no mood for rebellion and this was one of those moments. He took a while to reply, and when he finally did it was dry and raspy. Giving away his obvious fear and resentment.

"Got it." He made sure to give him a disapproving look before shaking his head and leaving after snatching his coat from the back of his chair.

***

"A road trip? You're kidding right?" Sandi laughed heartily with the misconception that her son was joking.

"I'm not kidding, Mom." He watched her spoon some more porridge into her mouth and her facial expression soon turned serious.

"Aubrey, you cannot just decide to run off on a road trip. What about Nicki?"

"She'd be comin' with me, what's the problem?" He was mentally kicking himself. He knew exactly what the problem was.

"The issue, Aubrey? She could be giving birth at any time now!"

"I know that." He shook his head frustratedly. "I didn't mean like a full on road trip, I was just thinkin' of maybe headin' up to my uncle's for a bit." He stood and carried his plate to the sink as she remained seated.

"Oh my God. That makes it even worse, he lives in the middle of nowhere!" Following him to the sink she dumped her bowl into the soapy water and clocked the time. "We'll talk about this later, I'm already running behind." Shaking her head at her son's bizarre behaviour she left the house swiftly. Drake could do nothing but stand and wonder, how the hell was he going to get himself and Nicki out of town by tomorrow morning? It was a goal which seemed completely unattainable at this moment in time. The night's events had only gotten more worrying. He'd been getting texts from Deshaun like there was no tomorrow and to top it off he knew about their new apartment, there went that plan. It only really hit home how extremely out of hand things were getting when a bunch of random noises startled him from his sleep and out of instinct he flung his arm around only for it to make strong contact with Nicki's chest. Although she'd awoken angrily and was in shock for a second or two she kept reassuring him it was an accident but he couldn't deal with how much this situation was messing with his head.

"I checked out the landline." He jumped at the sound of his Father's voice as he entered the kitchen and moved over to the sink to wash his hands.

"Yeah? You sorted it?" His nerves were getting the better of him and it was blatantly obvious.

"That line was cut Drake. But you already know that, don't you?" He took a seat once he'd dried his big and calloused hands. "Wanna tell me what's goin' on?"

The saliva in his mouth instantly dried. His secret was about to be spilled, but perhaps it was being uttered to someone who could help? He didn't hold back in telling his Father everything, each detail of his situation and what he was planning to do.

Not too far away, a nervous looking James was once again sat before Deshaun, being interrogated about his non-existent visit with Nicki. He had attempted to get into the house but his conscience was too argumentative, ultimately making him walk away.

"I'm positive. Nicki definitely got the message." He was lying through his teeth but Deshaun was hearing what he wanted and he believed it too, which was an added bonus.

"Good." He let out an accomplished laugh. "So they gonna be headin' over to their new place tonight?"

"That's what she said, I'ont see why she would lie."

"I been waitin' too long to get what's mine. You did good." He slapped him hard on the shoulder and went through to his kitchen, giving James the chance to reply to Drake. After almost complying with Deshaun's orders last night he felt the need to offer Drake a helping hand. Inside information which could possibly spare them harm.

***

"I'ont know what to pack? Where are we even going?" She huffed and plopped herself on the edge of the bed. "This is stupid, Drake."

"Just pack your essentials Y'know? Like, underwear and stuff. We won't be gone that long."

"Oh? You want me to pack baby clothes too, I mean I could give birth on the way there or somethin'. How did you even get your Mom to agree to this?"

"Please don't act up, Nicki. Not now." He resumed folding and placing his clothes into the duffle bag, switching between packing her stuff and his stuff since she was complaining of an aching back. He knew what she was up to though, anything to get out of packing.

"I just don't understand why we can't wait 'til after the baby's born to go on this trip. What's the rush?" She placed her hands delicately on her bump and caressed it lovingly. "I mean, your uncle ain't goin' nowhere fast is he?"

"You don't know that for sure though, he could have a heart attack or somethin' and the last time I woulda seen him was when I was fifteen." He folded his lips and widened his eyes whilst nodding. He knew she was rolling her eyes, which made him laugh. Slowing down gradually until he came to a stop he moved over to her and held both her hands with his. "Everythin' will be fine. I swear, in fact I don't swear. I promise, on my life."

"Don't say shit like that!" She hit his arm feebly, causing him to laugh again.

"But really though, what's the worst that could happen whilst I'm with you?"

"Nothing." The corners of her glossed lips turned up into a smile as she leaned forwards and kissed him. "I trust you."

"You do? So what's with all the second guessing and the questioning?" He shook their still connected hands and crouched down to look her in the eye making her smile before sighing.

"I don't know, Drake." She began. "It's prolly just this Godforsaken back ache along with everything else. I'll try and be less moody, promise." Sealing her promise with a kiss he stood up and released her from his grip.

"I'mma pack the Advil now before I forget." He disappeared into the bathroom as she scooted back to lay on the bed with the two duffle bags. "You taken any yet?" She could hear him rummaging around in the cabinet as he shouted out to her.

"No, could you bring me some?"

"Take some before we leave, that way you might sleep in the car." He was talking and reading when he re-entered the room. "Can you even take this when you're pregnant?"

"Mmm."

"Nic?" Stealing a glance at her he dropped his hand to his side. "Nicki, don't lay down. You'll be asleep within seconds. Come on." Sliding the Advil into his pocket he reached for her hand, pulling at it gently but she didn't move from her position on her side.

"My back's really hurting." Not opening her eyes when she murmured he began to worry a little.

"Where at?"

"Right here." She lazily manoeuvred her hand to her lower back and rested her fingertips on the hem of her shirt, lifting it slightly.

"Is it just aching, babe?" He sat down beside her and encouraged her to move on to her other side whilst he continued to gently massage her back with one hand and pack with the other.

Mm."



It didn't take long for her to doze off and in the end he wasn't mad, as long as she wasn't awake and in pain he didn't mind. He surprised himself a little at how fast he'd managed to pack their belongings. Carefully setting them by the front door he turned around to come face to face with his Mother. She looked beyond angry.

"So you're all set to go then?"

"Yeah, I'm just gonna shower and then we'll head off." He rubbed his hands together anxiously.

"Honestly Aubrey? I have no idea how your Father talked me into letting you go on this ridiculous trip, but if you're not back by Monday.." She let her sentence fizzle out as she shook her head. "Let's just say, you better be back by Monday."

"We'll be back in Monday, no later."

"And you've got-"

"Yes, we've both got your number in case anythin' happens to Nic." He smiled at her overprotective ways. "We'll be fine, and we'll see you in a couple days."

"Mmkay, be safe and call me as soon as you get there." She hugged him tightly before he pulled away and shot his Father a grateful glance. He owed him, big time. They were saying their goodbyes early since his parents were going out for yet another dinner meal. "Where's Nicki?"

"She's still snoozin', I'll tell her you both say bye." He walked them to the door and waved them off before heading downstairs to shower, his heart warming as he lay eyes on a still sleeping Nicki. He just hoped everything worked out okay. The help he was getting from James was immense. Thanks to him, Deshaun thought they were staying in the apartment and would therefore stay away from his parents house, by which time James will have told him that they've gone on vacation. His uncle was loaning him the money and in his mind, owing a relative was a lot less risky than being in debt to Deshaun.

...

*Hope this was alright, I've reeeeaaaally lost touch with this fic so I apologise if it dragged on :( Thanku to all the people who left comments on the last chapter :)*

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhh shoot! I was srlsy freaking out that deshaun had done something to Nicki! I'm glad Drizzy got home in time though! And Im happy that james didn't go through with what he was asked, im slowly beginning to like that guy! Mmmm I think Nicki might be in labor =/ I really hope Im wrong but i have this feeling =O Great update though, please hurry with the nxt one babe! =*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nic's about to go into labor & I pray it happens before they are in the middle of nowhere land! Drake needs to let Nicki know what's going on. She shouldn't be completely clueless. He should also ask for the money but he won't. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH. I'm so mad at Drake for getting them caught up in this, but thank God he finally told his dad. At least now they can get away for a while. And thank Goodness for James having a conscience and giving them Drake a heads up & lying about visiting Nic. Ugh. Man... OMG. I'm stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im mad that Drake let it get this far and for it all to just blow up in his face. Is just, ugh. Im just ready for Deashun to leave them alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Please continue this story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder what Drake did or has done to make this happpen.. Hmmm... Anyways I'm not here for you giving me mini panic attacks in this chapter! James seems like a nice guy >_> Deshaun needs to go, I bet he's the reason Drake disappeared or whatever! I'm so anxious to find out what happens next, post soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You Have to Continue this story! Please! I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete